20 August 2011

Freedom to dance

I don't know what it is about these ladies that makes me feel just a little bit more free. When in my day to day life back at home I find myself a little more reserved and I hold just a little more back. But here with the ladies I make a fool of myself with motions and facial expressions just to get a point across with overcoming the language barrier. My Hausa is still kudunk kudunk (small small). I let myself dance and laugh and giggle just a little bit easier. Today was visiting hours on the ward and we had all the ladies family members come in. We got all the patients out of bed and into this room with a few benches. We had a radio with some local praise cassettes and we turned the music on and had a great time. The ladies led us in some dances that mostly consisted of shuffling around in a big circle and spinning around every few beats. Then we decided to show them some white girl dancing which ended up consisting of country line dancing, the macarena, and the hokey pokey. They thought we were crazy but we all laughed until our sides hurt. These women who by our western standards and even by their own cultures standards have nothing, they are the lowest of the low but they seem to teach me everyday a little more about life, resilience, happiness, and laughter.

1 comment:

  1. I certainly hope you busted out some pass the cookies! :) :) makes me wish I was there with you! - K

    ReplyDelete