11 March 2010

A little ward lovin

Its been less than a week and I am starting to get my feet and feel back in the swing of things again. I have finished my first couple shifts on the ward and I am quickly remembering why I love this place. I have never been a peds nurse but here I do a little bit of everything. The last 2 days I've been playing with the kiddos. The most precious set of twins obviously born premature and at a couple weeks old still each weighing under 4lbs. They both are part of our infant feeding program, designed to help babies grow by teaching the caregiver about proper nutrition and how to provide that effectively for their baby. One of them has the smallest most precious casts on both her legs I have ever seen, slowing helping to correct her malformed feet.


Then there is David an 8 years old and one of our orthopedic patients, who today learned my name. Every time I was anywhere close to his bed I would hear "Maggie...Maggie" as soon as I would turn and look at him he would just giggle and turn away like, what who called you wasn't me.
Its the ability to be totally silly for the sake of a laugh, the freedom to pray with your patients before their operation or at anytime for any reason at all. It's playing a game of memory on the floor while another nurse will gladly get some vital signs or pass some medication for you so you can keep interacting with your patients. It's praying at handover with nurses and the translators from all different parts of the world, sometime in multiple languages all because this is why we are here. We serve a great and loving God who has placed us all here, and gives us this privilege of being able to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Knowing you are right where you are supposed to be at this very moment in your life...makes your mommy smile! But, I miss you!! Wish I was there, I'm good at holding babies :) So glad you are following your call! Love you!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete